Pages





Friday, March 9, 2012

Luck of the Irish

Hello everyone. This weeks theme at SweetSassyDiva is Luck of the Irish. I can't tell you how much being on this design team has helped me grow as a crafter. I have tried so many new things and this project is one of them.... cutting vinyl to use as a stencil to etch glass. It is something I have wanted to try for a long time and now I have. For me there is a HUGE learning curve and I know that I can only improve :)

First I used the kiss method to cut the vinyl - blade depth at 3, pressure at 3 and I set the speed at med. The images I used are from A Childs Year cut at 1.5".  I used the negative cut for the hat  and the positive for the shamrock. I punched out a scalloped circle and used the negative to put around the shamrock on one of the jars. I had a brilliant idea to color the etched area with my Copic marker... well that didn't come out quite liked I had hopes... way to blotchy for my taste.



On the second jar I just used the negative of the shamrock and am happy with it.



There are a couple of things I would do differently next time..
1st work on something bigger
2nd work on something flatter
3rd not walk away for 30 minutes and let the etching cream drip down off the vinyl and leave an etched line where you don't want it :)
4th  learn how to take better pictures of something that has been etched

I will  be trying this etching glass thing again and next time I will take more photos to share the process with you!

As always, thanks for stopping by :)

2 comments:

  1. Love your jars Mindy! I also love to etch on glass!! lol But I can say I never gave it a thought to use alcohol markers on the etched part!!! Maybe it would work better on a smaller etched area...hummm might have to try this out sometime! Thanks Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great jars Mindy! :) I love doing the etching and doing vinyl... just thought to combine them like you did... that turned out great.

    ReplyDelete